Hayley's blog

Just another global2.vic.edu.au site

Religion

Hope and joy

For hope and joy I choice selena Gomez. Selena Gomez inspires me in so many ways. She is an amazing actress and singer but she also does what so many famous people don’t. Charity work. Selena is unicefs youngest ever good will ambassador, this happened when she’s was made spokesperson for the trick or treat campaign.

Selena Gomez has supported the following charities:

10×10
A Day Made Better
Alliance For Children’s Rights
Cystic Fibrosis Foundation
Elton John AIDS Foundation
ENOUGH Project
Rosie’s Theater Kids
Ryan Seacrest Foundation
Stand Up To Cancer
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
Teen Cancer America
UNICEF

Gifts and fruits of the holy spirt:

Gifts
Wisdom- saying and doing what is right or just without fear or favour
My saint showed wisdom by asking the bishop the bless her

Understanding- Being able to see things from the other person’s point of view, and being able to see all aspects of a question, and having an appreciation for cause and effect.
I am not sure how saint Genevieve showed this but I’m sure she did

Right Judgement- Knowing what to say to people when they are in difficult circumstances, and knowing how to deal with difficult people.
Saint Genevieve showed this by convincing the people of Paris to stay when Attila threatened to rage against them

Knowledge- An awareness of the world, and how its parts fit together.
Again I am not sure how saint Genevieve show this but I have faith she did.

Courage- The ability to face and overcome our fears, and the ability to continue through difficulties without giving up
Saint Genevieve showed courage when she left home

Reverence- Loyalty and faithfulness to God, and the ability to change our behaviour and our opinions based on what we learn about God from the Church.
Saint Genevieve showed this when she was gathered around a statue of god and again when she was blessed by the bishop

Wonder and awe in gods presence- An awareness that God alone deserves our trust and our awe, and that people who wish to frighten us into doing what is against God’s will cannot really hurt us, as long as we are obedient to God, since He will take care of us, and even if such people were to kill us, they can only kill the body: God will carry us into Heaven if they do.
I am not sure how saint Genevieve showed this

Fruits
Love
Joy
Peace
Patience
Kindness
generosity
Faithfulness
Gentleness
Self control

Facts
Feastday: January 3

Patron of Paris

Birth: 422

Death: 512

Saint Genevieve

St. Genevieve was born the year 422 and died in 512 meaning she lived until she was 90. She grew up in Nanterre near Paris. She was seven years old when St. Germain of Auxerre came by her town on his way to Britain. She stood out in a group gathering around a statue of god and he foretold that she would strongly follow god.At her desire the holy Bishop blessed her to God as a virgin.

When Attila (king of the Huns)was reported to be raging against Paris, everyone prepared to evacuate, but St. Genevieve convinced them to stay by fasting and prayer, assuring them of the protection of Heaven. The event indeed helped for Attila changed his course.

The life of St. Genevieve was one of great austerity, constant prayer, and works of charity. Her feast day is the 3rd of January and some symbols of her are a loaf if bread because she was so generous to those in need, a candle for her bright personality and devotion and a necklace with a pressed coin on it.

Sacraments reflection

During religion we have all been investigating one of the seven sacraments and in the end we all had to share what we learned to others. Matilda and I investigated confirmation. a couple of interesting facts I learnt were that confirmation is the fourth sacrament, most of the symbols are just the holy spirit in different forms and that in Rome confirmation is performed straight after baptism because it is seen more as perfecting the bond between Christ not completing it.

What I learned about Marriage

A man and a women are untied for life
Marriage started around a hundred years ago when a Roman wanted to be with another for life.
Catholics celebrate marriage because it shows that you have love for each other and want to make a bond for life.
The symbols for marriage are the symbols for a man and a women crossed, this means they have an everlasting bond. In Africa people get married in a barn.

What I learned about Anointing of the sick

It is when you are sick or ill and you reserve ether spiritual or physical strength for when you go to heaven.
Catholics believe in it because because pain is hard to explain and this ritual brings them courage and helps the deal with the pain
The first time they preformed this was two thousand years ago when Jesus cured people
If you are to ill to go to church it can be preformed at your home or the church

What I learned about Baptism
Buddhists drop you in a lake or a pond
You are freed from sin
Regeneration through water/word

What I learned about Reconciliation

The priest offers a prayer, the blessing that removes sins and raises his right hand.
Two keys cross in a shape of an x. That is the most common symbol for reconciliation because Jesus said the peter “I will give you the keys to heaven” reconciliation means calling someone back again. Forgiveness in Jesus name.

What I learned about Eucharist

Eucharist is the third sacrament
The Body and blood of Christ
Celebrated because of the last supper
Bread and wine are symbols

What I learned about Holy orders

It Can only be done by a bishop
The sacrament of holy orders creates a priest
There is three steps

In religion I learnt about shinto religion. Shinto is a japanese relign and I learnt that they have 8 different gods, each one for a different thing. I also learnt about there rituals and how they are meant to calm the mind and body of those taking part, also their are held in honer of a god to keep in harmony with them.